Saturday, February 20, 2010

Monks in the mushrooms




I found this photo on the back page of Edible Marin & Wine Country (Winter 2009, photo by Matthew Carden of 350degrees.org) and instantly fell into it. I can easily imagine myself traipsing through a mammoth mushroom land in the company of Franciscan monks. Sounds rather mystical and adventurous. 

Our move from Santa Fe to Petaluma is feeling this way, though I'm not a monk. I do sense that I'm wandering through a new land with surprises around each corner. Not a bad feeling, in fact it stirs the senses and opens the mind in a rather refreshing way. 

In our house lately, there have been many requests for treats. For the adults, the newness of our situation brings many treats, welcomed breaks in habits and pattern and the developments of new perspective. Really great stuff. For the youngest in the family, the best treats of late include hot chocolate, riding a kitty on the carousel, and going to gymnastics. We all love hiking through the ferns and trees of the coastal forest though we will not let go of our good memories of walks through the high desert forests of the Sangre de Cristos.

Off we go a-wandering.

(Oops. Having technical troubles with my links. Googling names will produce the desired effect, if you would like.)


No comments:

Post a Comment